Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Acting my age

The other day while I was throwing a tantrum to my mom, I realized that I might be too old to throw tantrums. I know you might be thinking to yourself, "you were throwing a tantrum?" and the answer is obviously yes since I just admitted to throwing one in my first sentence. The reason for the tantrum doesn't need to be discussed since it isn't the point of this blog. Besides, if you were to ask me about said tantrum, I would just deny that I ever threw one. So, let's move on. As I was saying, I decide that I was too old to be throwing a tantrum. After looking back on the day I realize that the tantrum was brought on by a lack of sleep and food and a hormone issue. Either way, I am just too old to throw a tantrum. After giving this allot of thought I have decided that there are many things that I am just too old for. I am 31 now (almost 31 1/2) and I need to know what is age appropriate. I don't want to walk around trying to rock pigtails. I have decided to make a list of things that I am too old for and a list of things that I am not too old for. After making this list I will try not to violate it in anyway. I will have to add on as I get older and adjust the list accordingly. Let me know what you think.

Things I am too OLD for-
  1. pigtails- maybe not if I am working in the yard or wearing a hat and.... no, no, I can't make excuses. I need to just decide now that I am too old for them.
  2. tantrums- that was already decided
  3. pulling an all nighter- this was no big deal in college, now if I stay up past 12 I suffer.
  4. wearing short skirts or shorts- this isn't as much a problem for me as it is for some of the women I work with. hint, hint.
  5. eating whatever I want- I now feel it and show it way differently then when I was younger.
  6. sleeping on uncomfortable beds- I wake up with too many kinks and stiffness to just sleep anywhere without paying for it.
Things I am NOT too OLD for-

  1. zits- apparently this is the case of me, but I wish it was on the other list.
  2. getting pregnant- let's hope!
  3. watching shows on Disney- laugh all you want, but there is just something about those shows that make me happy. Although, things just haven't been the same without Lizzie Mcguire and Even Stevens. Ok, maybe this will be one of the things I might need to move to the other list in the near future.
  4. being married to a younger man- that's right Lincoln is five years younger and he doesn't think a thing of it. It took me awhile to get over it when we were first dating, but it really isn't a big deal now.
  5. learning new tricks- the saying, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" doesn't really apply to me. I am learning new things everyday.
  6. get scared from the dark- when I was younger I thought I would be so brave once I grew up, well not so much.


The list is a work in progress. I know this might seem crazy, but there is nothing worse then seeing a grown women wearing a sweatshirt with a picture of Winnie the Poo on it. I just want to act my age... give or take a few years.

5 comments:

Laurie & Clint said...

that is so funny. I haven't dared to wear pigtails since grade school. just couldn't pull it off.

I have a theory about your tantrum, I think it is because you were talking to your mom. For some reason, whenever I talk to my mom, I am much more likely to cry or whine or whatever. its just the little kid coming out. I wouldn't cry telling Clint the exact same thing. Its weird

Sarah Heder said...

Wow, Mal, no sleep, no food, hormones . . . you weren't having a tantrum, you were experiencing what it is like to be a Mom. It's a good thing the "tantrum" gave you a glimpse into your future. You'll be having lots of them when children come your way.

Disney shows? Really? Still? I don't know about that one on the "Things I am NOT too OLD for" list. This is interesting, though. I'm trying to think what I would add to your lists. You've given me something to think about. I'll have to get back to you.

Nanette Purdy said...

Which tantrum are you talking about?? I know I am the receiver of your so called "trantrums" but I like to call them "vent on the one who loves you the most and will still love you when you're done!" That's what moms do, that's why when people are mental cases it's because they could never vent to their moms!! You need to make a new catagory to your list something like "now that I'm grown up..." You should put on that list "now that I'm grown up people will believe what I say instead of look at me like I'm a stupid kid". One of the perks of being a grown up is having people take you seriously when you want them to. I had 4 kids before people started taking me seriously! (except those 4 kids and they just threw tantrums, I mean vented on me)

Stephy said...

Nanette, your post was so cleverly written! I love your post.

Mal, I just think it's so funny about the pigtails. I would never dream of putting them in now.

I also totally agree with the disney shows. I in love with one called ICarly. Oh wait, maybe it's NIckelodeon.

Christy said...

There is an age on pigtails?! Boo.