Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cha-Cha-Cha Changes!

You have to love a totally big new change. One where you walk into a room and people take a double take when they see you. I think there is something very brave and exciting about making a big change. I wanted to start recognizing people who make a change in their look. We are not talking a simple two inches off for a haircut, I want big, dramatic changes. Let's all inspire one another to see the many possibilities there are.




To start things off, I want to introduce you to Lane. She is the daughter of my dear friend and former college roommate, Serena. I know for a fact that Lane got some awesome hair genes. Lane is 6 going on 18. I swear she is so mature for her age. She decided to go short and donate her hair to Lock for Love after her friend donated her hair. To cut off that much hair is a HUGE shock for anyone, let alone a 6 year old. I had Lane fill out a little Q &A and I love her answers.




1. How old are you and do you think the cut made you look older or younger?
Six. I think I look older.

2. Who's idea was it to cut your hair and donate it to Locks for Love?
mine. My friend Avery gave her hair to locks for love and I thought it was cool to do it because people who have cancer get it and I thought it would be super helpful to give it to them.

3. Did you grow it out in order to donate it?
No, because I did not know about Locks of Love when I was growing it out.
4. Were you shocked when you first saw yourself in the mirror?
yes. I felt saddish and happyish (direct quote!) Happish because I cut my hair and gave it to locks of love. Saddish because I had beautiful long hair and I miss that hair except I still like my short hair better.

5. Did you get a good reaction from people when they saw your cut?
People say I look "pretty or gorgeous or outstanding!"

6. Is it easier or harder to do your hair now that it is shorter?
Easier because it doesn't hurt my hair as much anymore.

7. Do you think kids should be able to pick out the hairstyles they want, or should the parents decide?
I think kids should pick because I got to pick my own hair cut and it made me feel happy.
8. Will you grow it out again?
Yes. I saw a girl with dred locks on the tv yesterday who had really long hair. I don't want to grow it out like hers.


Ready for the big reveal? Introducing the new and totally adorable, Lane.

Isn't she just the cutest!! I think letting your little ones decide how they wear their hair is so important (within reason.) You can always guide and direct what they do, but try to let them feel some ownership on how their hair looks. As long as it is clean and free of major rat's nests, what do you have to lose?

Like I said, I love a big change. It is what so many of us need. I challenge you all to think of something that just isn't working for you and MAKE THE CHANGE.


6 comments:

lklowry said...

What a brave little girl! It takes months for me to decide if I should take off a couple of inches. She is so adorable with her new look :)

Jaime said...

That's cute! Hey I know we don't know each other but I found your site through a mutual friend, Amberlee Taylor, love her! Anyway, I have a question for you, I had my hair colored tonight. The girl who did it used Redken hair dye and the color was supposed to be a dark chocolate brown (level 4 if that helps) and it is a red-ish dull brown. I hate it! I don't want to call the girl that did it b/c she only uses Redken and I am thinking that was the problem.. Is there a product at Sally's that I could use to fix it myself? Or would I be better off to just go pay another several dollars to have it fixed? Please help! Thank you! I would just come to you if I didn't live in Oregon. ;) jandjwendling@gmail.com

Sarah Heder said...

Love it! And I love this post. I hope you do many, many more like it. I love a dramatic change. And of course this is coming from someone who hardly changes her hair. Ha! Ha!

Annie said...

She is adorable!

Tiffany Rueckert said...

saddish and happyish -- i love it! You look darling lane!

Unknown said...

I love changes! Although, I really do miss her long hippy hair. That is one thing I always admired about you, Mallory, your hair is always different but always looks amazing. How do you do it? I guess that is why we read the blog :)