Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 24-"Chignon"



Someone once asked what the difference between a bun and a chignon. Well, not much. If you look at the true definition, you will see that they are very similar.


chi·gnon

noun \ˈshēn-ˌyän also -ˌyȯn\

Definition of CHIGNON

: a knot of hair that is worn at the back of the head and especially at the nape of the neck

1bun

noun \ˈbən\
1
: a sweet or plain small bread; especially : a round roll
2
: a knot of hair shaped like a bun
3
plural : buttocks



It really is all relative. I would consider a chignon to be on the lower part (nape) of the head with a smoother shape. The bun can be anywhere on the head with a twisted or braid pattern. Like how I wore the back of my hair on day 4, I would consider that to by a bun. Really, I don't think the world would end if you called a bun a chignon and a chignon a bun. As long as it's pretty in the end. Right?


Have a happy hair day!




4 comments:

Mari said...

I call them both elegant!
You are fabulous, Mallory.

The Snavelys said...

Can you show us how to do this? It looks lovely!! :)

Mark, Stacy, & Jack said...

Your hair looks great like that. And maybe I'm just immature but I like how the plural of bun is buttocks... made me laugh a little.

Stephanie said...

This is so pretty!